Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Long Hot Summer

I don't know very much about Paul Newman

I've seen Butch Cassidy and I've seen Cool Hand Luke - loved both those movies, but for some reason, I've never given Newman much thought. So it really didn't cross my mind to check out The Long Hot Summer, and honestly, I have no recollection as to why I decided to watch it this weekend. But I suppose Malcolm Gladwell would say I've hit the tipping point, because now I'm a real fan.

So the specifics:
The Long Hot Summer is a 1958 melodrama directed by Martin Ritt
It stars not only Paul Newman, but also Joanne Woodward and Orsen Wells. <in fact, Ritt became known as "the Orson tamer" due to his diplomatic handling of the emotional star>.

IMDB has a 7.4 rating and Rottentomatoes says 88% fresh - not bad

This is a well established classic and you can find lots of details online if you like.
I really just want to comment on how much I enjoyed this film.

At first, I didn't know how to categorize this film. Usually I'm watching Noir or Horror. So this is the first time that I've identified "melodrama" as a style that I enjoy.
But now as I mull it over a bit, I put The African Queen at the top of my favorite movies list, so I suppose it makes sense.
Here was a movie where the heat and grittiness of the weather combined with the story to immerse me as a viewer.

The story line was involved and engaging. Newman was a newbie to town and as a smart "quick" guy, he in short time, ingratiated himself with the leading business man. Now the fun starts as the family responds to an outsider that is on such good terms with the father that none of them can please.

Acting: 
This is an A List cast. Performers at the top of their art - and so many names!

First of all, who can resist Lee Remick as Eula :)
She was a fantastic party girl with nowhere to party.
 
Eula's husband Jody was played by Anthony Franciosa. He nailed the 1950's angst as young Varner (reminded me of Sal Mineo's performance in Rebel without a Cause. 

Orson Wells was a surprise as well - what a powerful portrayal of a hard headed , self-made business man.

And Angela Lansbury was there too - giving life to her tough, seen-a-lot-of-life character.

Music: 
The soundtrack fit the picture well and the opening tune with Jimmy Rogers set the tone

I certainly recommend this film - in fact, I did recommend it over lunch today.
You can find it on Netflix right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment